Textbook Buying Tips
Consumer Tips for Buying Textbooks
The following suggestions can help students make smart decisions when purchasing textbooks.
- Know your store’s refund policy, especially deadlines.
- Keep your receipts. Bookstores require receipts for textbook returns.
- Don’t write in your books until you’re certain you’ll be keeping them.
- Buy “used” books whenever possible.
- Don’t forget to calculate shipping expenses into the total cost.
- If you have a choice between buying a textbook by itself, or the same text packaged with a study guide or software package, make sure you need both parts. Packages can be a great value but are often non-returnable once opened.